July 25, 2014

101: Watercolor, Assignment #1: Salt














A new challenge, 101: Watercolor, will open it's doors and welcome card artists to enjoy the latest big trend in cardmaking- WATERCOLOR. 


 Many folks may be new or lightly acquainted in this media, some of us are more advanced. 101: Watercolor addresses this and you are welcome to enter one of two linky's provided. 101 for beginners and intermediates, and 102 for intermediates and experienced artists. You'll see when you go for the visit.

I am a trained artist- but not a real teacher. I studied commercial art and subsequently became a graphic artist as the business changed into computer work. The blog challenge is setup and written to mimic, for fun, the idea that we  are in a class that turns in an assignment each week. 


And of course each week its- WATERCOLOR WATERCOLOR WATERCOLOR! Yea!






Back to the cards.......I started with a wash and then after just a little bit of drying-  sprinkled kosher salt. The salt will soak up color and create interesting spots that look like texture. Plus, it's fun!

My watercolor paper was fully taped down to a wooden cutting board. (available at every thrift known to man)  I let the papers dry on their own. And it's true, it's true- they dry flat!

Card 1-Peerless Pigment Papers, sprinkled with salt and mixed results. Most likely my paper was too dry for a start. The yellow barely reacted. The blue did this delightful pale spider webbing. Stamps are from Recollections with yellow stickles on the outside fireflys and liquid crystal in the inny's.

Card 2, Seriously bright distress stain directly on wet paper. I timed this one just right! The salt did an amazing job of adding texture. Love it! I created a scene with Inkadinkado "meadow" stamps. The intense black I used was Heidi Swapp archival dye.

Sharing this card at these fun challenges:
Stamplorations, Stamp & Glitter 8/6 UPDATE: So cool- I was in the July top Picks!



Some of my friends may be wondering why I hadn't mentioned my new challenge up till now. Well, I just came up with this idea last week. 2- It's a current fad (darn I love this fad). 3- I might finally sell "vicki stamps" there. 4- It will be less of a production than my other challenge (AAA CAS Card Challenges with 6 other fantastic ladies).

I invite you to drop by and do a little "homework" practicing watercolor skills at 101: Watercolors. You'll have fun, I promise. Cheers, and have a happy week-







9 comments:

  1. Stunning effect! I love the bright colours with black stamping... so pretty! Thank you for sharing! Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! The colors are so vibrant and rich. I did this many years ago using fabric paint on a silk scarf. Loved the effect and made several, then put the technique aside when other things came along. I've always wanted to do it again, so just might put it back on my to-do list for when I have time to play a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like u r mastering the art of water colors. It's a treat to see ur amazing cards :) I love these, the bright colors and the technique... Such awesomeness ! Thank you for sharing with Stamplorations :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card - I always love colorful thing! Have to try this salt technique, looks amazing! Thanks so much for playing with us at STAMPlorations. I hope to see you there next time, too! Hugs, Cornelia DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, amazing cards! I love the technique you've used and those bees are super cute with the glitter! Thanks for joining us at STAMPlorations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Wow. and Wow. Card 1 - how perfect to use fireflies for a sparkle/glitter challenge. Card 2 - wonderful choice of silhouette stamps to let that amazing punch of color through. And wow, that sounds like a cool challenge. Good for you. Thanks so much for joining us at STAMPlorations this month.

    ReplyDelete