May 27, 2011

Broken Glass Cat, PSC70 & PDCC83



POP-UP! A new card for Paper Sundays Challenge PSC70. My first card was pop-up bobble head Christopher Walken. This POP-UP is a best of luck card. I have lots of pop-up going on. I even used three different pop-up tapes and dots. Everything is raised from the background.

COLOR SPLASH! Play Date Cafe Challenge is saying goodbye to a founding member and is honoring her with her favorite challenge style...a color splash. Black and white with a splash of green. PDCC 83

My special touch today is the lovely kitty done in the broken glass technique. I sized and printed kitty from all-free-download.com. I taped a craftstick to the back so I don't burn my fingers and can quickly reload the UTEE powder. It really helps ALOT to have the UTEE in a tupperware container with a spoon handy. I start with versamark to hold the embossing powder and apply a hotgun until all is melted. Next you'll repeat the versamark, when the UTEE melts - quickly re-dip (or spoon over) more UTEE. Keep it up, wiggle your craftstick to keep the plastic flowing around and not pooling badly from the hotgun. You may end up covering with UTEE for 3 to 6 layers. The UTEE can't handle this heavy hotgunning and turns a bit yellow. If you are not careful it will burn and brown. Stop when you think it's thick enough. Cooling down is needed now. The embellishment is kinda rubbery for a little while. When it feels almost cool (but not cold) test crack the piece. You'll know when it it's ready to crack all over or not. If it becomes too cool...the glass will chip off of the project. It's like Goldilocks, it has to be "just right". I ran my finger over black pastel and rubbed the dust into the cracks to bring them out more.
I like my pussycat.

Recipe:
Background Paper - DCWV The Glitter Stack
Card Body & Elements - White Bristol Vellum
Spellbinders "lacey circles",
Marvy 3" Scallop Punch and 2.5" circle punch
Flowers - Oriental Traders; petals, glass pearls, pearl strand
Ribbon - Hug Snug, homemade green crinkle
Glitter - Clear, Martha Stewart
Labels - Labels by me
"Glass" - UTEE (who makes that?)
Tools Used - Table cutter, Cuttlebug, Spellbinders, hotgun, printer, Flat foam tape, pop-up foam tape, 3-d dots, craftstick


This was fun. Try the broken glass technique sometime. Thanks for the visit!

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! Can you tell me the specific name of the picture on the download site---there were a lot of black cats and I couldn't find the exact one. You did a wonderful job with this technique, too--and the challenge! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a fab card. I love your Pop it Up element. Thanks for playing at Paper Sundaes this week. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great technique! And it looks fabulous on your card! The splash of green is perfect & I love all of the pearls and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely entry for our challenge. I love your crackle technique, it looks fab! Works wonderuflly with your cat too! Thanks for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I absolutely love this! The cracked glass effect looks awesome! We are so glad that you joined us in our Paper Sundaes Challenge!
    ♥ Lisa M. PSDT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victoria, what a neat image to do the cracked glass technique with! I'm very fond of cats, and own a black one. ;) THanks for joining us at The Play Date Cafe (and I just became one of your followers, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great kitty stamp - so dramatic and your card is beautiful. Thanks so much for playing along with Color Splash at The Play Date Cafe.

    ReplyDelete