August 1, 2014

Salted Watercolor Embellishments






My new little challenge101: Watercolor is wrapping up our visit to watercolor texture with salt. Last week we did salt washes- this week I've asked the "students" to use their new skill and create a focus point or embellishment with the technique. These are my examples. There are video's on the salt technique available at 101: Watercolor right now. Maybe you'll give it a try?



For both of my cards I created a small page of blended colors with watercolor and salt. Later I'll stamp and die cut it.





After the page dried I located my favorite spots to stamp and die cut. The label was a separate watercolor page (boy the salt worked well on that!). For intense color I'm using distress stains and my stamps and die's are from Lawn Fawn, Happy Trails.

sharing this card at:



I was tied up and naughty yesterday, didn't write my 101: Watercolor challenge post until late last night (and launched it 2 hours later). And my cards are late night numbers too. But, being behind schedule allowed me to locate a sweet sketch from "Freshly Made Sketches". Their sketch is very graphic- fits me well!

Here too I made blended, salted watercolor sheets to cut from. My colors are Broken Hinge, Forest Moss and Twigs distress stains. I used kosher salt. My card base was white, I used the same stains on the outside edges- has an autumn feel to it. The card panel's embossing folder is from Darice and I have brown butcher string with a wooden button. Just like the sketch- but on purpose crooked.

sharing this card at:
Freshly Made Sketches #147



I hope you've enjoyed these cards. I had fun whipping them up and I'm really interested in praticing my watercolor skills. Please join me on a watercolor journey.....at 101: Watercolor.

Cheers, Victoria Lavender

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards, love the water colour with the bits of salt. Very eye catching.
    I work at a school occassionally where the children are all special needs. They make the most sensational wrapping paper from butcher paper, water colours and salts. They also do cards and scarfs. Such clever ideas, such beautiful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Aileen, The school sounds like a wonderful place. I think art education is something all children should experience. Will you be able to drop in a watercolor card this round? Would love to see it. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great technique and such wonderful examples!! The sketch was a great way to focus on your pretty work! Glad you joined us this week at FMS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen! FMS is always a nice place to play and visit.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful technique! I love the vivid colors and both cards are fabulous. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Amy, and thanks for such a fun sketch this week too! Peace, Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful effects with this technique. I'm just starting to think about water coloring and think this would be a good fail-safe place to start -- fun, too! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed this salt technique. Friday is the new challenge at 101:Watercolor and it's a non lesson week where you can linky up any watercolor card you make and there's no limit on how many other challenges you enter. I' love to see you drop off a card. Hugs, Victoria

      Delete