January 1, 2013

Retro Living Room at Christmas Time

Wow! the holidays can be a rush! No time to blog, but we finished our mid century living room!






We had a ball decorating our living room during the Christmas season. It was an empty room, I started just before Halloween, and painted the room light avocado. Halloween night the couches arrived from Overstock. After that piece by piece we built a mid century style room. Just like when we were kids.

This post has LOTS of photos, to see them all and THE LAMP CAT click on the page break below.






Tables by Lane, carpet from Overstock. Authentic "Barkcloth" curtains would have been so cool, but finding them in the quantity and lengths I needed would have been impossible, so this set (from Overstock) is textured silk. Gives the shine and texture of barkcloth and I'm happy. Kudo's to those who actually hung barkcloth!


3-D wall art bowls, 2 sets hung side by side from Tuesday's Morning. Atomic lamp from Copper country Antiques. Crazy blue poinsettias from Fry's Grocery, Tucson.




Great vintage stereo cabinet (Copper Country), vintage dashound and fawn porcelain and my fab 1950's TV cat lamp (22nd Street Antique Mall). The vintage plant stand is waiting for a "Mother in law's tongue" plant. Our screaming clock from Home Goods is a reproduction George Nelson.



We are adding new pieces quickly! This is how the corner looks now, compared to an earlier photo. Vintage plant stand from Copper Country Antiques paired with a purple vase and the splendid tall atomic lamp as seen in the last post.



This is my little prize! An authentic Kron ceramic TV cat lamp! I saw this for $90.00 at The 22nd Street 
Antique Mall. I told my husband that I'd seen it and he took me back the next day to see it himself. We received an antique TV lamp collectables book for Christmas, from my sister Val, and we thought the cat lamp was charming in the images. We were so surprised to find it at a local store.

We just loved it when we saw it together, then my husband noticed a sign saying everything was 35% off! Needless to say we were smiling all the way home.




These cool prints were purchased at a yard sale a year and a half ago while visiting family in Maryland. Our first pieces of a dream living room we didn't know was in our future.



We still needed a little more artwork for the walls, so I created this set. I love these. I call the set 
"bowling pin cats" (as suggested by my grandson) In the spirit of beatnic art I also signed the pieces under the pseudonym  "Red Brown".







A few close up's of neat stuff in the living room. But the best thing that went on around the holidays was spending lots of fun time with Steve! Here's Poppy below setting up the train for little Emma and Jachob to enjoy. I put this post together to show my far away family how things are coming along in our new home.

Peace, love and Happy New Year to All!




I've shared this post at "Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson's" blog and her
"Share Your Cup Thursday #39"

also shared with...
Junkin Joes Linky Party, at The Cottage Market


visit






3 comments:

  1. New follower here...what an amazing home! I love your MCM style, and I'm swooning over the cat lamp. (TV lamps are a favorite of mine, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun room. Love all of the great color! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup my friend.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother has that cat lamp! I've always loved it ever since I was teeny tiny. :)I also love bright and cheery cat prints!

    -Amberly!
    www.bingobuttercupcrafts.com

    ReplyDelete