June 2, 2011

Faux Ruby Glass Butterflies


They sparkle like glass, but these butterflies are easy to make.



In an earlier post I explained how to create the "broken glass" effect. It's the same process. Instead of heavy layers to crack and break, it's lighter, 2 to 4 coats. I tape the butterfly to a craft stick and apply Versa Mark. I keep my UTEE in a plastic container with a spoon. The butterfly is small enough to dip directly into the container to re-coat. I'm careful, but I always imagine the amazing mess if I were to ever accidentally aim the hot gun at the powder box. When I get my "just right" finish (and that's something that practice will will help with) I carefully use an X-acto blade to release the embellishment from the craft stick. Do this right away before it cools. Do any needed trimming right away. Also this is your only moment to adjust the wings. This lighter finish cools much faster than the heavier "broken glass".

I started with the idea of the colors in this card from Play Date Cafe Challenge and the design sketch by Just Add Ink. I fell in love with the metallic ruby paper from DCWV. I loved it against white. My other colors, grey & green became accent colors (like a color splash). I was also able to completely create this card using my Cricut Expression.

Recipe:
DCWV The Mariposa Cardstock Stack (Ruby)
DCWV The Brights Cardstock Stack (White)

Cricut Expression, UTEE, Hot Gun, Rhinestones, Tacky Glue, Pearl Sprig, Spray Adhesive

I hope you like the butterflies and thanks for the visit!
"Peace and Chicken"

Card is entered in:
Play Date Cafe Challenge #84
Just Add Ink #70
My Mum's Craft Shop, #8 Things with Wings
Charisma Cardz Challenge #22 Something that Flies
By The Cute and Girly Challenge, June-In the Garden
Digi Stamps 4 Joy, #20 : "On the wings of a ..."

Update: I won Cup of the Week with Play Date Cafe! Yaah! Woohoo! Another Badge for my site. I really loved these butteries. I've sent out thank yous and I will also be receiving a cool set of stamps from "Mark's Finest Papers". I must admit I hadn't heard of these folks until the challenge...but I checked out their website and it's nice! They have #140lb cardstock! Gotta get me some of that! I won a stunning stamp set called "Planted With Love". I like their stamps too. I don't really go for sweet and cute (know...too cute)but these stamps are all great images with fun fonts. Thank you Play Date Cafe and Mark's Finest Papers.

27 comments:

  1. Victoria, this is BEAUTIFUL! Such a sweet, sweet card. Love the clean look of it, and the delicate details. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful, delicate work! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria this is super lovely :) Those butterflies are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely card and such beautiful butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card and LOVE the butterflies. Thanks so much for playing along with us at JAI this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow those butterflies are so beautiful and shiny. I love the pearls too. Very pretty. Thanks for playing at JAI.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is lovely, thanx for joining us at Digistamps4joy, and good luck,

    Bunny GD DS4J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card and butterflies are stunning! Good name for the butterflies too ;o) Thanks for playing along with us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what Beautiful butterflies and the CAS card really lets them stand out
    Thanks for joining us "In the garden " at BTC&G this month
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those butterflies are fantastic! You make it sound so easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your butterflies are superb!! Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I LOVE this..wow..so effective!! Thanks for playing along at MMCS this week xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is simple, but yet gorgeous. I LOVE it! Thanks for joining us at MMCS challenges this week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, such a pretty effect. Love how you added them to the card. Thanks for playing along at The Play Date Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooo! What a great technique, and such a pretty shape to your card! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I LOVE those butterflies. I may have to give that technique a try. Thanks for playing at JAI this week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooo those butterflies are amazing!!! WOW they really look so great, and the pic you took of them shows them off soo well!!! I'm guessing a TOP pick this card is gorgeous!
    SMIles SHARnee :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those butterflies are beautiful, and I love how they are the focus of your card. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Victoria! Those shiny butterflies are amazing, and I'm glad you shared your tip about taping them to a craft stick. That's good to know! Thanks for sharing this elegant, CAS card with us at The Play Date Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WooHoo! Congrats on your Cup of the Week win!!!! Gorgeous card! Such a lovely shape and butterflies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a pretty CAS card, gorgeous Butterfly. Thanks for joining us this month over on BTC&G. Carolxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Victoria, I see you've won the Cup of The Week at The Play Date CAfe, and I wanted to congratulate you! I really loved your butterfly card and voted for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. BEAUTIFUL!!! :) thank you for joining us at Inky Impressions Die cuts/punches challenge this week!! Hope to see you back again next challenge :)
    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful card, love the butterflies. Thank you for joining our challenge at Inky Impressions.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous card! Thanks for joining us at DCD.

    Hugs,
    Patty
    creativediva98.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely beautiful! those butterflies are stunning, thanks for joining us at inky impressions. Joey x

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow this is stunning and perfect for our die cut challenge so thanks for sharing it at Inky Impressions xx

    ReplyDelete