June 17, 2013

Get you boots off the table and don't break that pot!




 Ha! My boots (honestly, these are mine) and some of my southwestern jewelry in a vignette on our hall table. I took a little time and created some art from this photo session, I think the colored boots will look great framed. I also collect lovely books about our Native Americans and splendid hardcovers on the stirring beauty of the southwest landscapes. I'll have to start some post on our Arizona travels.







 Ha! My boots (honestly, these are mine) and some of my southwestern jewelry in a vignette on our hall table. I took a little time and created some art from this photo session, I think the colored boots will look great framed. I also collect lovely books about our Native Americans and splendid hardcovers on the stirring beauty of the southwest landscapes. I'll have to start some post on our Arizona travels.




There's my last two Fimo "Story Tellers Dolls" I made 20 of them long a long time ago when my mother, Arlene Thayer, was creating, and running one of the VERY FIRST craft blogs ever- "Polymer Clay Central". It was, and still is dedicated to instruction and galleries of fimo artists from around the world.

Ahh the pot. That little 8" dealie is probably worth around $200.00. And is one of my husbands "babies". It was made by an artisan in Mata Ortiz, Mexico and they are some of the hottest pots available! We collect pots and jewelry from Southwestern Pueblos and lands. On the cover of the book is a While Buffalo pendant in heavy silver on a handmade silver bead necklace. It was purchased near the Grand Canyon. The other is an intriguing turquoise and silver chain with a piece of turquoise flecked with gold. It was Apache made, and also purchased at the reservation in northwest Arizona.


 My husband almost had a kitten when he saw that I had THIS pot in the table display. This lizard pot was made in Mata Ortga Mexico. Some the most desired pottery work come from Mata Ortga. Check out his quick blurb and visit the website to learn more about this fascinating style of pottery.

Mata Ortiz pottery From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Mata Ortiz pottery is a recreation of the pre Hispanic pottery found in and around the archeological site of Paquimé in the Mexican state of Chihuahua. It is named after the modern town of Mata Ortiz, which is near the site and where a man named Juan Quezada learned on his own to recreate this ancient pottery, then went on to update it. By the mid 1970s, Quezada was selling his pottery and teaching family and friends to make it when it was able to penetrate the U.S. markets thanks to efforts by Spencer MacCallum and later Walt Parks. By the 1990s, the pottery was being shown in museums and other cultural institutions and sold in fine galleries. The success of the pottery, which is sold for its aesthetic rather than its utilitarian value, has brought the town of Mata Ortiz out of poverty, with most of its population earning income from the industry, directly or indirectly.


 I put this image together to show you some wonderful examples.

Well another day in Tucson, at it's another beautiful day indeed. Take care.





Sharing at these lovely linky parties.....
MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
SATURDAY
Share It One More Time at One More Timehttp://www.onemoretimeevents.com
Saturday, Sunday, Monday




1 comment:

  1. Hi Victoria, this is so interesting to see, it is so different than anything we have here in South Carolina, like looking into another world. You put together a lovely vignette on your hall table. Nice! Take care - Dawn

    ReplyDelete